Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Vibram Experience Continues

It appears as though fall may have finally arrived here in Tucson Arizona. It was around 55 degrees when I went out for my run this morning. There is nothing like coming home to a cozy home and a warm shower after a run in the cool outdoors, and there is nothing like experiencing fall after possibly one of Arizona's hottest summers yet.
Today I did not running in my vibrams although I am sporting them as I write this and eat breakfast. Tuesday, however, I went out for my four mile run and afterwards experimented with barefoot running! I only ran for about a minute then I sat down on a curb to wriggle my way into my vibs. As I was putting them on, a ma came along the trail with his two dogs whom I of course had to pet and make cooing noises with (luv the fluff!). He then, of course, asked me about my shoes! I was impressed with myself as I was able to explain to the somewhat skeptical man the philosophy behind Vibrams. "The idea is" I told him "that our feet have been cramped in shoes our whole lives and not been able to live up to full potential. When we use out regular running shoes we have so much added cushioning on the heel that we strike it harder and more frequently than we should thus causing knee and back problems. With toe shoes you are forced to use the muscles of your feet to land softly and not on your heel, therefore avoiding the painful heel striking." I'm not sure I converted him, but hey atleast I know why I'm trying to running in these funny things :-)
After talking with the pleasant fellow II only walked a little in my vibs around the park before heading home, my run wore me out. But poco a poco I'll get there :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment