Sunday, May 23, 2010

Third Day in Italy, Second Full Day In Orvieto




this is from yesterday 5/23/10
The picture is me with my first Italian Pizza!! I eventually ate the entire thing! Yumm!!!

Italy thus far has been a pleasant experience. I don’t think I’ve been here long enough to feel homesick. But I am seeing certain things that will begin to get aggravating and or tiring after a five week stay.
First thing is my apartment’s showers! Our main bathroom is a large bathtub with a showerhead at the level of the tub spout. (this is pictured above) Hmm…and then we have another shower that I tried using earlier today. I let the water run and run to get hot. Half of the water felt warmish and just as I started to get my hair wet, the water turned off. Great. So that is going to get old.
Second, I have to take a solid 15 minute walk to an internet cafĂ© that has touch and go internet. (snapshot of the counter above)Just now I was trying to talk to Eugene. The conversations were seconds long so finally we graduated to chat and then my internet just disappeared entirely. A Sense of disconnection has arisen for the first time since I arrived. I have not other way really to communicate except for a little phone card I bought. So I’m hoping for better internet access at the school. (hence I’m writing this on word).
Those are the two things I see for potential frustration. It’s really hard to tell though. Tomorrow the real stuff starts. We are meeting for our orientation meeting, signing stuff etc and later getting a tour of Orvieto. Classes start Tuesday, hurrah. I am actually looking forward to some sort of structure.
I went for my first run in Italy today! It was an easy going run. I went with one of my roommates. I’m looking forward to exploring a little more and running a little longer. The roads are NARROW!! But we managed fine and found so many awesome things! The country side here is breathtaking!! I kept wondering; “What would it have been like to grow up here? To just walk down the street and for it to be normal to see a building that was probably a castle back in the day.” I’ll have to take my camera sometime when I go running, or go for another exploratory walk.

1 comment:

  1. Great details. Makes me feel like I'm almost there with you.

    ReplyDelete