Friday, June 18, 2010

anecdotes/stories


The next few anecdotes/stories are a collection of funny/strange things that have happened to me while being here. A couple are excerpts from my journal.

First story: On our way back to Orvieto from Amalfi last weekend I caused a mild car accident. Yeap that’s right me. We had just gotten off the water taxi and we going to cross a major road at a cross walk. I was with a group of three other gals and crossing a street in groups can be annoying. “wait do we go now?” or “what if I go but she doesn’t?” so I decided that being an experience crazy street crosser I’d take the first step. I carefully stepped out only a little and as I watch the cars, I see a small brown boxy car start to slow down. The driver put his arm out the window to indicate to other drivers he was slowing down so I stepped forward and continued. I get about halfway across and BAM! The vespa behind that car crashes into and the person on it I saw sort of contort and fly off. I quickly finish crossing to street and look over to the other side where my three friends are still standing stunned and I said “well aren’t you going to cross?” Haha all the traffic had stopped at that point. I was somewhat perturbed about this situation because from what I saw the car was slowing down for me and it was really the vespa’s fault for not paying attention. Of course one gal took it upon herself to say ‘why did you cross?’ I explained to her what you just read. I’m slightly sensitive about this event because I felt as though everyone was pointing the finger at me and especially since it’ll be that stupid American girl that caused the accident. *sigh* o well I’ll never see those people again and I don’t blame myself.

The next two anecdotes are excerpts from my journal entry this past Wednesday. I decided to skip the planned tour for the day and study for an Italian test and gets some peace and quiet. I went out and sat on some grass that is next to the Duomo (the large main church in town-pictured above I would have taken more pictures of the area but the day before I 'decided' to empty the contents of my water bottle out in my backpack and drown my camera). I was there for about an hour studying successfully and then began to journal….

“Omg awkward what the heck? I have been sitting here on the grass on the side of the Duomo. Awhile ago a lady walked by and sat on the stairs just past me. I didn’t pay much attention to her…then just now I look up and I see what I assume is her husband. He walks pat me (there’s a little sidewalk cutting through the grass) and I assume he continues walking. After a little I hear rustling in the grass, look to my left to see feet next to me and look up and there he is leaning over me watching me write! I’m sure I looked surprised. I think I gave him a half smile and simultaneously looked over the woman who was smiling and walking our way. I guess I woulda said hello but I donno which language to use, there are so many languages that come through here.”

I want to also mention I looked up and the man had this big smile on his face. So odd for a stranger to do something I expect only someone I know to do! Ahh Europe

The next excerpt actually follows right after this..

“lol and now I turned around and a ways off in the grass there are two people with extremely short hair laying in the grass eating each other…and still are. And I feel as though either the person I think is a girl just has short hair.. or I’m not sure but there they are as though there is no one else in the world but them…still going…hmm…lol now this elderly man is walking by them and staring back. Ooop passing by me and saying hi in Italian? He stopped briefly and I think he realized io no capisco. And the couple is still going. Its funny how I have such a strong need to know if they are both boys, girls, or one of each. All things considered this isn’t a terrible place to lay down and make out. It’s a gorgeous day with a breeze and the grass is soft as a pillow…and they are still going. Still not convinced that they are not both guys. I wonder if they’ve realized that they have a narrator?”

My journaling goes on the ramble about other things and then I decide to get up and walk past the couple to see if I can figure out if they are boys/girls. I figured out one was definitely a girl, at leas the body of a girl but had a mannish face while the other seemed to have a more female face. Finally I sat down across the courtyard at the school (my school I’m attending here) and watched them get up: “So I’m in sight of that couple again….oh! They just stood! I think they are both girls…at least they have the anatomy of females. Hmm ok works for me.”

This third story just happened to me today and its pretty short and sweet and I find it amusing.

We have a buzzer to our apt. So someone buzzes you pick up the phone and find out who it is and you can also push buttons and let them in. An hour or so ago the buzzer went off and I expected it to be one of my roommates so I answer “hello?” and there is someone speaking Italian on the other end and I don’t understand what they are saying!! I thought they were asking for Adelita? I kept saying ‘uh no’ and again he’d say his thing ‘no…no…’ we went back and forth a couple more times and then I awkwardly just hung up. Then I realized ‘osta…p..posta! mail he’s telling me we have mail!’ lol I leaned out our front window and saw him and said ‘senor (no that’s Spanish Hope!) sinore!’ and he looked up and smiled very nicely “Posta?” “si posta” and he pointed to our door. Lol poor man. All he wanted to do was his job and let me know that we have mail and I insisted on telling him ‘no.’ lol sorry sir no I don’t want your mail. Anyhow I am still chuckling over this a bit 

No comments:

Post a Comment